Friday, January 30, 2009

Clearing up some Misconceptions

Hello... My name is Stephen and I'm a Thirty-Nothing... and that's not a bad thing...

After sharing the fact that I now have a blog and reading my posts, friends and family have contacted me a let me know that they don't enjoy the fact that it seems I hate myself. Let me assure you, this is not the case.

I have two great jobs that I enjoy and do very well. These jobs allow me to provide for a family that loves me. My friends are supportive, entertaining and great people to be around. I have a great home, a car and an HD TV... I love my life and wouldn't trade it for anything.

My friend Jake, who I've known almost 10 years (can you believe that, man) very poignantly said to me, "There are probably a lot of "successful" lawyers in this town who wish they had a loving wife and beautiful daughter."

With that being said, in my own little world, things are great... In the grand scheme of things I want more.

One of my two jobs is being a courier, which basically means I'm a thirtysomething delivery boy. So aside from waking up some mornings and feeling life Fry from Futurama, I don't get the cool bonus of having a robot best friend or flying to other planets... And I have a nasty case of boneitis. (probably three people in the world got that refrence)

The point is that there are some things I want to change in my life... I want a better job, I want more time with my family, I want to lose 20-40 lbs, I want my life to be better... But I feel like this is the first time I'm saying it out loud, holding myslef accountable, and (in a public forum) allowing others to hold me accountable.

It is fitting that Obama just took office. His election and inaguration's theme was simply change. There are going to be tough times ahead but, but we were mired down in 8 years of mediocrity, irresponsiblity, and complacency (i can't spell worth a damn). Now its a new beginning.

Are we going to fix things overnight? No.

In the long run will we make things better?

Yes. We. Can.

2 comments:

  1. Blogs can be a lot of things. They're part diary, part newsletter, part archive, part performance, part conversation starter. On it one can bare his soul raw or try on masks or just try to feel a little less alone. Of course, it's blasted out there for all to see, and that's something to keep in mind. But ultimately the appeal of blogs is that they're not fully vetted or ground through some editorial process. So use it for all it's worth: just write and see what comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My...only...regret...was...having boneitis...

    ReplyDelete