Saturday, February 7, 2009

Obama/Lauer Super Bowl Interview (Finally)

So, as promised, I just went back my DVR and re-watched the Matt Lauer/Barack Obama interview... I have to say that I think Frost and Nixon both rolled over in their graves... But holy crap was it entertaining. I know this will be a long post, but bear with me please.

First of all, am I the only one who noticed the chompers on Obama? We haven't had pearly whites like that in the White House since the Carter administration. Up until this point I had only had noticed his Wil Smith-esque ears.

The interview starts with Matt Lauer asking about living with his mother-in-law. All I can picture, for some ungodly reason, is Martin Lawrence in Big Momma's White House. I can only hope that Michelle's mom is running around the White House in a house coat putting plastic covers on the furniture.

Obama does a nice job of convincing us he's a regular guy with an extraordinary job. In describing adjusting to living in the White House, he comments that he, "has a great home office." If you or I had a home office, we'd have a computer, a desk, maybe a filing cabinet... He's got the Oval Office... That's a pretty freaking cool home office.

Matt Lauer decides to turn the table and start getting serious. They talk about the sobering war in Iraq. But here is where Lauer does something I hate. Here is the direct quote:

"10s of millions of people watching you right now, if they were to have access to the same information you have on a daily basis... How much less sleep would we all be getting?"

Go back and read it again... I'll wait...

Under the Bush administration, the American people were spoon fed that we were constantly to live in fear from terrorists and the boogeyman. The media propagated this constantly - foiled terror plots, anthrax, how vulnerable are we, 9/11, 9/11, 9/11... And here's Matt Lauer... RIGHT BEFORE THE MOST WATCHED EVENT YEARLY, DOING THE SAME THING... Hey America, don't forget, you should be scared shitless at what the President knows, but you don't.

While answering the question and rightfully praising out troops, they flash to a group of soldiers watching in a war zone. (God Bless 'em, they're doing something I never could) I hate this because its so blatantly staged. They show 13 soldiers (5 sitting, 8 standing) in a room just chillin in front of a 27" bubble TV. It honestly looks like the worst way possible to watch the Super Bowl... Gee sarge can I stand here for 4 hours watching the game? Show me a mess hall full of drunk marines watching a 78" HDTV and playing with knives. Those are the guys and gals I want protecting my freedoms.

They then shifted to the economy. I like the fact that Obama at least tries to be a straight shooter. He said we're going to be in for a tough couple months before it starts to get better. W's administration always tried to put off what we all knew was going on. The war - making progress, the economy - not to bad, wire tapping - not that expansive. Obama at least tries to let us know stuff is going to suck for a while.

While during economy talk, NBC lost audio for about 15 seconds. My favorite part was hearing all 4'2" of Bob Costas panicly saying, "Did we lose it? Did we lost it?" I could hear the NBC tech staff collectively pooping their pants. Nothing makes me happier than impromptu pandemonium. God I miss George Carlin.

After asking the "tough" questions, Lauer switches back to a fluff piece.
I won't bore you with the BCS College Football Champion talk or the fact the Barack got a sweet dig on Kurt Warner saying they were about the same age. The Prez did make the wise and accurate prediction that it'll be a close one that the Steelers will "eek out it the end."

Here's where Matt Lauer loses all credibility with me because he turns into a 15 year old girl.

First thing: Lauer has the balls to "rub it in" that Barack picked the New England Patriots last year over HIS New York Giants... Gee Matt, what jersey number were you wearing? I think someone running for leader of the free world gets a pass on picking an 18-0 team (like the rest of America did)...

Numero dòs: They talk about the Barack-berry. Aside from making lame-ass James Bond jokes about security associated with it, Lauer asks who's in his phone and if he can have the number. It was like watching a high school nerd asking the football star if he wants help with his biology homework to get in with the cool kids.

Third: Matt Lauer says stupid things... Again, a direct quote:
"So, you've been elected President, and there is a certain amount of fame that comes along with that."
Ugh... In other breaking news Mr. Lauer, water is wet, China is in Asia and my brain hurts.

Last but not least... The coup de gracé... Matt Lauer pulls out an US weekly and shows Obama the lovely family photo inside with Barack, Michelle and the kids all smiling. He praises the photo but then shows the cover where the photo of him has been removed leaving Michelle and the girls and the following ensues:

ML: They took you off the cover.
BO: Yeah... It's a little hurtful.
ML: You got replaced by Jessica Simpson.
BO: Yeah, who's in a weight battle apparently... Yeah... Oh well...

I lost my shit. I laughed and laughed and laughed. The President just called Jessica Simpson fat. You know who I feel bad for - Tony Romo, Dallas Cowboy's quarterback. Every football fan in America just saw the President of the United States say your girlfriend is apparently in a weight battle.

The interview then wraps up with Obama giving a "special shout out" to our armed forces. Well at least Obama didn't raise the roof... They then go back to the shot of army guys in a room and since its on a minute satellite delay, THEY'RE STILL LAUGHING AT OBAMA'S JESSICA SIMPSON COMMENT. I think we can all agree they need a good laugh every once in a while.

So in a year where the movie Frost/Nixon is nominated for numerous oscars, I think we'll all look back at Lauer/Obama and nominate it for several Razzies...

No comments:

Post a Comment