Monday, February 9, 2009

Simple Pleasures of a Thirty-Nothing Daddy

Being a father is one of the most nerve racking, but wonderful experiences. Much like the rest of my life, 9 times out of 10, I'm not exactly sure what I'm supposed to be doing and I'm making it up as I go along.

But for 18 months, my daughter Sophia has grown unto a little person. While preparing dinner, I let Sophia run around the kitchen. It was rewarding to know that she is at the age when I can trust her to explore, but at the same time keep my eyes on her. Maybe its the fact that I've had thirty-something years to take this life for granted that I get sheer joy watching her discover the world for the first time.

To be honest, I envy her at times... How cool would it be to not know and discover a fire truck for the first time or to have that wonderment of seeing and feeling snow for the first time? Its the moments of our children that bring us back to our own past and make us appreciate the lives we have and hope they are not doomed to make the same mistakes we made.

No comments:

Post a Comment