Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Oscar missed someone

My favorite part of the Oscars® telecast (aside from this unexpected jem this year) is always the memorial portion of the show. It allows me to remember those who passed but also REMINDS me who passed this year.

This year was no exception. Former Oscar nominee Queen Latifah (ugh... That's as weird to type as it is to say) came out looking like Violet Beauregarde before the juicing and sang while images passed behind her.

We lost some entertainers this year - Bernie Mac, Issac Hayes, Roy Scheider, Sydney Pollack, Charlton Heston and of course, Mr. Blue Eyes himself - Paul Newman.

We lost a slew of executives, directors, writers and other actors whose names I cannot remember, but am sure have entertained me.

Yet there were two omissions that frustrated and angered me a bit...

Harvey Korman - I was first exposed to Harvey because my parents and grandparents were fans of 'The Carol Burnett Show.' I don't think I appreciated his comedic genius until I saw what I consider to be the funniest movie ever made - Blazing Saddles. Armed with Mel Brook's brilliant writing, Korman shares the stage with Cleavon Little, Gene Wilder, Slim Pickins, Madelin Kahn and Brooks himself. Korman steals the movie as Hedy Lamarr... Sorry... That's Hedley Lamarr. Korman had bit parts in other movies, but this iconic role and contribution should have at least been mentioned by the academy. Oh... By the way... He also voiced 'The Great Gazoo' in the Flintstones...

George Carlin - When George Carlin died, I was devastated. He was the comic that always inspired and astonished me. His brilliant writing, ridiculous stage presence, and commitment to counter culture. The first time I was introduced to George Carlin was in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure as Rufus when I was in the 6th grade. From there my father introduced me to his stand up and the rest, as they say, is history. He was a staple in Kevin Smith's films, most notably the Cardinal introducing Buddy Christ in Dogma (we'll forget about Jersey Girl). George Carlin inspired a generation of comics with his stage and screen work and will be dearly missed.

Also a special good-bye also to Eartha Kitt, the greatest catwoman ever.

I'm sure there are other the academy forgot and that I forgot as well... I just wanted to give my tribute to those I will miss from last year.

1 comment:

  1. How often does one get to say "Domo arigato, Mr. Roboto" in an Oscar speech??? Brilliant.

    I, too, was saddened to see George Carlin not mentioned. I love that he called "Paradox of Our Time", which he is often credited with/ accused of writing, a "sappy piece of shit".

    ReplyDelete